POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : New Output File Format : Re: New Output File Format Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Output File Format
From: Glen Berry
Date: 30 Apr 1999 21:16:02
Message: <372a46ca.924945@news.povray.org>
On 29 Apr 1999 09:27:48 -0500, par### [at] my-dejanewscom (Ron Parker)
wrote this about the Unlimited Light patch:

>It is probably true that it doesn't do anything to bit depth, but the
>official POV already supports higher bit depths.  Quoting from the POV
>manual:
>
>  Most of these formats output 24 bits per pixel with 8 bits for each of
>  red, green and blue data. PNG allows you to optionally specify the
>  output bit depth from 5 to 16 bits for each of the red, green, and blue
>  colors, giving from 15 to 48 bits of color information per pixel. The
>  default output depth for all formats is 8 bits/color (16 million possible
>  colors), but this may be changed for PNG format files by setting
>  Bits_Per_Color=n or by specifying +FNn, where n is the desired bit depth.

Yeah, I almost mentioned the 16 bpp PNG format in my previous message.
I had assumed that the person who posted the earlier message about the
Radiance format already knew about 16 bpp PNG's and had decided that
the Radiance format had some sort of advantage for their use.

My personal wish was to not only create these sorts of files, but to
view and print them in their full glory. If anyone knows how to do
those last two tasks, please let me know also. I have never made a 16
bpp PNG for the simple reason that I don't have any idea how to output
the image to film without dithering to 8 bpp before the transfer. Does
anyone else know of a method to do this?

Thanks,

Glen Berry

Email:    7no### [at] ezwvcom
(remove the "7" to reply via personal email)

Website:  http://www.ezwv.com/~mclilith/index.html